Briefing/Buying Guide Products Frequently Asked Questions
- What’s a ChampionsChart™? It is an attempt to distill my 30+ years of storage experience into a single performance chart to identify the best performing storage systems for a given storage protocol or application. For example, the latest NAS Buying Guide (v3.1) has a ChampionsChart for both NFS and CIFS/SMB storage protocols which identify the top performers across multiple, orthogonal dimensions of IO performance.
- Why emphasize benchmark storage performance? Primarily because it’s an objective measure, verified by benchmark audits, and able to be understood on multiple dimensions. Some would say that it can be gamed by throwing more hardware at it, such as more disks, SSDs or cache. I would respond that yes that’s true but all vendors can do the same. As such, it’s as level a playing field as one can find today to objectively rank and compare storage systems. Isn’t that what you want from a buying guide.
- Why don’t you rank/compare system features? First, I would have to have all the storage systems in my lab, and have to work with them day in/day out to see which features work and which do not. There’s just too many systems out there to compare in this way. Secondly, I could depend on users to provide feedback on these features but then there would be a selection bias, the most popular storage systems would have the most positive and negative feedback and the least popular systems would have almost no feedback. I believe this would be unfair. Finally, ranking features depending solely on user feedback would represent personal viewpoints at best. Doing such would make it very hard to maintain any form of objectivity.
- Do you accept payment in other currency than US$? No, at the present time we only accept US$s. Although we are looking into accepting native currency for a few select countries that is not available yet.
- What happens when I purchase a Buying Guide? After you purchase the a Storage Buying Guide, in 24 hours (usually much less)you will be sent an email purchase receipt with a download link and the password for the Storage Buying Guide PDF. You will also receive a link to an online copy of the purchase receipt so that you can review it later if needed. You will be able to download a copy of the Buying Guide with the link and Open the PDF with the password provided.
- Can I print out the PDF? Yes, with the encryption password you will be able to print out any of the PDF you want.
- Can I download the PDF multiple times? Yes, with the link you can download the file multiple times. Presently, there is no limit to the number of downloads that can be done. However, this can be changed at any time. Also, keep your password, it will only be supplied in the purchase receipt or in the online copy of the purchase receipt.
- Can I subscribe to updates to the Buying Guides? No, at this time the only way to obtain updated Buying Guides is to purchase a new one when it becomes available. This is something we may offer in the future so if you are interested in doing this please let us know.
Question(s) not answered here?
If there are any other question(s) you have on SCI’s Storage Buying Guides please fill out the form below with the question in the comment field or request a call by supplying your phone number.