Briefing/Buying Guide Products Frequently Asked Questions
- How long have you been publishing Storage Buying Guides? We have been publishing Storage Buying Guides periodically since December of 2005 and quarterly since December of 2011.
- What are your licensing options? All Buying Guides are available on a site-wide license basis. That means all users within a single geographical location may have access to our research.
- What is the “one hour consultation” available with the SAN Storage and the NAS Buying Guide? These customers receive a one hour call with SCI data storage analysts to discuss their SAN storage or NAS system needs and requirements. The call must be scheduled within 3 months of purchase. Make the appointment by contacting +1-720-221-7270. All calls take place between 9am-5pm MT. Our analysts will answer questions on your storage buying needs. For our 3 year subscription, calls must be scheduled within 3 months of receiving a new version of the Buying Guide.
- Why emphasize benchmark storage performance? Primarily because it’s an objective measure, independently verified by benchmark audits, and able to be understood on multiple dimensions. Some would say that it can be gamed by throwing more hardware at it, such as more disks, SSDs or cache. We would respond yes that’s true, but all vendors can do the same. As such, it’s as level a playing field as one can find today to objectively rank and compare storage systems. Isn’t that what you want from a data storage buying guide?
- What’s a ChampionsChart™? It is an attempt to distill my 30+ years of storage experience into a single performance chart to identify the best performing storage systems for a given storage protocol or application. For example, the NAS Storage Buying Guide has a ChampionsCharts for both NFS and CIFS/SMB storage protocols which identify the top performers across multiple, orthogonal dimensions of IO performance. The SAN Storage Buying Guide has 10 ChampionsCharts, for OLTP, email and throughput intensive workloads for enterprise, mid-range and SMB class storage and another one for all flash arrays. Our ChampionCharts are only available in our SAN Storage Buying Guide and NAS Storage Buying Guide.
- How do you rank/compare system features? Ranking or comparing storage system features and functionality is done subjectively, based on published specifications available to anyone. We typically rank over 20 features/capabilities in our NAS Buying Guide and SAN Storage Buying Guide.
- What happens when I purchase a Storage Buying Guide? After you purchase any of our Storage Buying Guides, you will immediately be sent a purchase receipt by email with a download link for the Storage Buying Guide PDF. You will also receive a link to an online copy of the purchase receipt so that you can review it later if needed. You will be able to download a copy of the Buying Guide with the link and open-read/copy/print the downloaded PDF without any restrictions. If you also purchased a hard copy of the Storage Buying Guide, you will receive a spiral bound copy of the Storage Buying Guide by general post in a business week or longer, if outside the United States.
- What about multi-year subscriptions to the Storage Buying Guides? Yes, there is a 3 year subscription option available at time of purchase, for a substantial discount from individual issue pricing. SCI’s Buying Guides are updated once per quarter. The receipt for the subscription will contain download instructions for your first Storage Buying Guide issue. You will then be emailed a PDF copy of each new issue as soon as they become available for the next 3 years. The email established at the time of purchase will be used to send new issues. If you need to use a different email, please email SiSales [at] SilvertonConsulting.com, indicating the new and old email address and the original purchase transaction ID number. We will update our records and you will receive all new issues at the changed email address.
- Can I download the Storage Buying Guide PDF multiple times? Yes, with the link you can download the Storage Buying Guide file multiple times. Presently, there is no limit to the number of downloads that can be done.
- Can I print out or copy the Storage Buying Guide PDF? Yes you are able to print out and copy any of the Storage Buying Guide PDFs, as many times as you want, with no restrictions.
- Do you accept payment in other currency than USD $? No, presently we only accept USD $’s. Although we are looking into accepting native currency for a few select countries, we do not offer that yet.
- What credit cards or payment options are available? We use PayPall for all our financial processing, which means that you can use your PayPal account, bank account, all major credit cards, debit cards, eCheck and more. Please see PayPal’s payment options bag to learn more.
Other question(s) on SCI’s Buying Guides?
If you have any other question(s) on SCI’s Storage Buying Guides that have not been answered here, please email SiSales [at] SilvertonConsulting.com with your question(s) and we will try to have an answer back to you within 3 business days.